Tuesday, April 13, 2004

I have found something more boring and painful than my job. It took me several weeks, but I did it.

My boss scheduled a meeting called Women on Women... believe me, it is nowhere near as fun as it sounds, if that is your thing. Just so that you don't think that I make this stuff up, here is the body of the meeting invite.

WOW is a way to share ideas, goals, strategies, and successes with other women - the women we work with. This first meeting is to see if there is enough interest in such a group, and to decide how to pick topics for each meeting. We'll select a restaurant as the day approaches - the idea location would provide either a round table, or a comfortable enough setting for us to talk openly.

The first topic will be to bring a quote you'd like to share with the rest of the group. It doesn't have to be a famous quote, or even a documented one - it could be what your mother always said to you, that now you've found to be true. Anything goes.


So at this meeting are two middle-aged ladies and three of us in the 29 year old range. One of the 29-ish peeps is Nikki. The other is a girl I don't like very much. The two middle-aged ladies are on and on about life goals and choices and their inspirational quotes. Holy Christ. I tried not to look at Nikki for much of it, for fear that I would be unable to resist the urge to roll my eyes. The other girl was clearly uncomfortable with silence and would ask the first lameass question to come to her head every time there was a pause. Also, I don't think she grasped the concept of how the choices you make can affect the outcome of your life. She seemed to be of the mind that things are preordained or, say it with me, "meant to be." What a load of crap.

On the way back to work, Nikki and I, who were lucky enough to drive separately from the others, determined that we would never go through that again. I thought I would just decline the meeting request the next time my boss sent it out. Unfortunately, she set up a recurring meeting for future Women on Women tournaments, I mean lunches. I think I am going to go with the advice of my cube neighbor and accept the invite but be a no-show on the day of the lunch.

Christ, that was painful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home