Friday, April 30, 2004

An interesting thing has happened to me at work. It is more difficult for me to pretend to work now that I have given notice. No one expects me to be making any progress on the project I was given a week ago, so I wonder what it is that they think I am doing? I am supposed to be revising some survey questions which is a one day job that I have managed to stretch out for the entire week. God only knows what the hell I am going to do next week.

Transferring all my files, emails, bookmarks and random other things probably won't even fill a whole day. After three and a half years here, you would think that I would have accumulated a lot of stuff but with each of the nine layoffs and associated internal moves I have been through, I divested myself of clutter, files and swag. I could grab my purse and walk out of here right now and I doubt it would make a difference. When I don't show up for the going away party, they might begin to suspect something.

I hate going away lunches. Everyone packs into the back of some restaurant. Half the group doesn't receive their orders until 45 minutes into it and the rest of the group is lucky if they get even a short chat with the departing co-worker. For mine, I think we will do a conference room cake (because a co-worker has offered to make my favorite spice cake) and a happy hour. Even if only my few work friends make it out for drinks, that is certainly better than enduring a lunch hour with thirty people, many of whom I will be glad to never see again. You know who you are, assface.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home