Friday, April 09, 2004

The trip to the vet can only be described as an ORDEAL. That dog really needs to get out more. He doesn't like strangers. Well, he doesn't like most strangers. I think he wanted to go home with one lady. It takes him awhile to settle down so when we are in a situation where lots of different people are in and out, he freaks out.

I signed in at the front desk and took him outside to wait for them to call me. It was fine. He even calmed down and we were standing there pleasantly looking out into the parking lot. Then an orderly came around from the back of the building and startled the dog. It scared the crap out of all parties involved.

I finally went into an exam room where I waited for quite a long while. Eventually a nurse came in but she couldn't even get near the dog to take his temperature or weigh him. She came back with reinforcements but he was growling so much that neither lady would come near him. They gave me a soft muzzle to put on him. It went on fairly easily and even though it looked a little barbaric, it was kind of cute because the dog had his tongue sticking out a little the whole time it was on.

The doctor came in and was able to examine him a little with me holding his head away from her. For him to get his shots, though, she was going to have to take him to the back without me. She left with the dog and closed the door. I heard nothing for a little while, then I heard lots of growling and shuffling and claws clicking on the floor. A few minutes later the door opened and the dog came trotting in. I said to him, "That wasn't too bad was it?". The doctor replied, "Well, he got the muzzle off and pooped everywhere."

She gave me some doggie sedatives for next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home