Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Pretty on the Outside

Most of you know this about me by now. I am vain and shallow. I put a lot of stock into the way things look: people, cars, houses, pets, restaurants. There is a lot to be said for presentation.

At the end of the writers' cruise, there was a book signing event where the published authors could hawk their goods. I bought the books of a couple of the instructors who were excellent. I finally made my way up to the table of the most popular instructor.

"What's your name?"

"Michelle."

"Are you a writer, Michelle?"

"Yes." I look down at my chest. Yes, my official writers' cruise nametag is there.

"You look too young to be a writer."

"Really? How old do you think I look?" It had been awhile since something like this had happened to me and I haven't been carded in ages when buying alcohol so I wanted to get a sense of where I am now. Am I looking my age yet? Thirty is a mere three months away. These things weigh heavily on my mind.

"About 18."

"Close, but I am 29."

Eighteen? If she wasn't a staunch Mormon, I would have guessed that she was either high or drunk. Eighteen? It's good to know, though. I had been thinking that I would need to start Botox preventative maintenance around 35. Maybe I can push it off to 40 now.

3 Comments:

Blogger Joanne said...

Ahhh... to look only 18 again. Maybe I should apply to be on the Swan?

10:55 AM  
Blogger Peeved Michelle said...

Even I wouldn't go that far. The Swan? I would not have a complete overhaul, just some minor enhancements. I only watched brief portions of two episodes, but some of those chicks were crazy.

Please note that I am not so delusional as to believe that I really look like I am only 18. Anything under 30 is good, though.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

I feel I must admit that my last comment was stupid but apparently I can't edit it. Ah well... However, as a person who has ALWAYS looked older than she is (or so I've been told), I think I may have yet another thing to be envious of Michelle... :)

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home