Friday, August 20, 2004

Absolute Power Corrupts? Absolutely!

Here's a little ditty about how I grossly abused the power that has been bestowed upon me by our silly management team.

Without going into boring technical details, here's the scene. One of our systems (that I am the functional owner of) wasn't interfacing correctly with another one of our systems. I spoke to the technical owner of the other system and he said he knew what was broken and had actually fixed it in our development environment. He just needed a trouble ticket created so that our QA team could test it and it could be pushed live.

So, I created the ticket, not putting in many details about the problem since it's already been fixed. No use beating a dead horse and I'm lazy.

The ticket was assigned to a weasly little closeted punk QA guy who returned the ticket to me with some obnoxious comment about how he knows that I have more information about the problem than I'm revealing and how can he possibly validate that there's actually a problem without more information. Dumbass.

Anyway, we have a new trouble ticket system (that this QA jerk was actually responsible for implementing) and it works much like the old one, except for some minor differences that were never clearly explained to anybody. Not knowing about one of these differences, I edited the ticket with more info and saved it.

The asspunk sent me another grumpy email about how I didn't actually do anything by editing the ticket with comments, I actually had to assign the ticket back to him so that he could read my notes and do his freaking job.

Now, I'm all for admitting when I'm being an idiot and not doing things properly, but christ, we were never fully trained on this application and quite frankly, I'm usually nice to someone the first time they don't do something correctly. I don't instantly get all salty with them.

Anyway, I did it properly and then went into my system and changed his password to "Jerk" so there's no possible way he can actually test the ticket without begging me to reset his password for him. Muwahahahahaha.

1 Comments:

Blogger Peeved Michelle said...

Excellent intro into the abuse of power. I hope that one day you will tell the story of how you got him fired or made him eat poop.

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home