Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Pink Ribbons

Timmy, if he sees this, will probably post some terrible rude comment about how I should lob my own boobies off in penance but eh, I ain't scared of him... So here goes:

I am so sick of the pink ribbons on practically every ad on TV and websites right now. I can understand that this month is breast cancer awareness month and that with early detection, you don't necessarily have to die from it. But seriously... who is the foundation blowing that everybody and their brother is jumping on the "Buy our product this month and we'll donate a portion to the foundation" bandwagon. How come we don't get inundated with blue ribbons and licking lids for blue ribbons and join the blue ribbon foundation in support of testicular cancer research. Or dried blood brown ribbons for Leukemia & Lymphoma society... The red ribbon having already been coopted by everybody. Baby poo brown ribbons for the ulceritive colitis group and/or the intestinal cancers. AND for that matter, and for a condition much closer to my heart (strangely closer than my own boobies?) October is Celiac Awareness month. Did anyone know that? How come we don't get wheat gold ribbons for that (Or wheat gold ribbons with a big circle with a line through it)? I will support the charities I support. I am glad that companies are supporting charities and being vocal about it. I don't even mind that it really is just a marketing ploy to increase sales in toasters (or whatever) since ultimately that is 5% or 7% or 10% or 2% more than they may have gotten. But there are a lot of conditions out there that desperately need money too. And it would be nice if once in a while the big merchandising world would recognize this.

1 Comments:

Blogger Peeved Michelle said...

In honor of Celiac Awareness month, I will remain gluten-free from October 4th - October 25th. Ok?Satisfied?

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home