Sunday, November 14, 2004

Funny Ha Ha

Two of the times in my life that I have laughed the hardest involved house pets. I was staying at a friend's house in high school. I was laying on the couch on my back, watching TV. I put one foot down on the floor just as their cat was walking by. That cat jumped like six feet straight up in the air. I literally fell off the couch I was laughing so hard.

Before we got married, my husband was visiting me at my parents' house one weekend with his dog (the boy dog, Bear). We were chilling in the pool, floating around on rafts. The dog was dozing in the sun near the jacuzzi. He stretched out in his sleep just enough to send him rolling backwards over the edge and into the water. I saw it happening like it was in slow motion. He let out this hilarious yelp and shot out of the water. He stood at the edge of the pool dripping and skinny-looking with his fur all wet. He looked so sad which just made us laugh even harder. I still crack up every time I picture him rolling slow motion into the water.

You know how somtimes you get the giggles and you just can't turn it off no matter what? Usually it's late at night and you're tired or drunk and something sets you off and you can't get yourself under control. Well, one time that it happened to me, I was neither tired nor drunk nor was it late at night. Joanne and I signed up for a faux finishes class (nerdy, I know) at the local community college. It took us forever to find a parking spot so the class was packed by the time we got there. We sat at a table in the back. The class was so ridiculously painful with that woman going on and on and on and rambling and then there was this awful speaker, the prototypical haughty gay designer. By the time he was done, we were ready to gouge our eyes out to put an end to it all. For some reason we didn't feel like we could just walk out, so we were writing notes to each other on our notepads about the all the things in the world that would be less painful than that class. With each pass of the notepad, it escalated until we were doing that thing you do when you try to keep from busting up. Our eyes were watering, our faces were contorted with the effort to contain our laughter, which would sometimes escape in the form of a snort. Finally, we escaped. Finally. We could not stop laughing all the way to the car. Even the parking ticket I got was a small price to pay for our freedom.

I know these incidents probably don't translate well - the types of things where you just had to be there - but I am cracking up remembering them and I know that Joanne, at least, is cracking up reading them.

1 Comments:

Blogger Joanne said...

That class was so bad... All the people introducing themselves. Seriously what professor has a class of like 45 people go around and introduce themselves and say a few little things about themselves. I especially loved it when she insulted the moms who were doing the interior design as a home based business. I think what set us off was one of us wrote gum and the other thought it was gun. That was the beginning of the end. I remember brick was one of the things that would've been better than that class... Getting hit with one that is.

Your story about Bear always cracks me up. Poor puppy.

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home