Wednesday, December 01, 2004

How bored do you have to be?

There's an article in the paper today about making homemade dog biscuits. There are 2 recipes as well. These recipes have more ingredients than I used in my own dinner last night. Is it really worth it to bake dog biscuits? I'd think it's worth the couple bucks they cost at Safeway. I don't have a dog, but if I did I sure wouldn't be baking it anything. The 2 recipes are for "special" biscuits and "everyday" biscuits. I suppose you need 2 kinds for those picky dogs. You know, the ones who are concerned about what they put in their mouths. These are dogs, people. They eat poop and lick their own body parts. I don't think they care how much time and effort you put into their Christmas gift. You could give them a squirrel's leg and they'd be just as happy. Or one of those pig ears they sell at the pet store. Pig ears, really? Dogs will eat anything, so keep that in mind before spending the day baking. Just in case I haven't convinced you though, here's the recipe. (with my own comments included) Merry Christmas, Rover.

5 lbs whole wheat flour (wheat is healther)
2 pkgs dry onion soup
2 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
2 1/2 C shortning
1 1/2 lbs grated carrots
1 bunch chopped parsley (for flavor, dogs love parsley)
1 lb cooked beef, chicken liver, or braunschweiger (what is that?)
5 eggs
2 1/2 C beef or chicken broth

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix flour, soup mix and garlic powder with shortning until mealy, using hand mixer (that you'll never use again) and a very large bowl. Add carrots, parsley and meat and mix thoroughly. (I'm sure it smells great at this point) Add eggs and liquid and mix very well with hands. (why hands?) Roll out 1/2 an inch thick on board covered with cornmeal. Cut out with cookie cutters. (you will never use them again) Bake on ungreased cookie sheet (you wouldn't want to clog their little arteries with grease!) about 2 hours or until very hard and dry.

And there you go, you just wasted 2 1/2 hours of your day! Congratulations, I'm sure your dog appreciates it.

3 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

I was once at a friend's house drinking a cup of tea he made me, when he lowered his own cup and let his dog lap from it. I was almost sick on the spot - and I *never* accepted another drink from him ever again!

12:52 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

People are WEIRD about their pets. (I may slightly fall into this catagory although not as bad as some). One of my coworkers shelled out something like $3,000 for surgery for a dog... who eventually died.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Peeved Michelle said...

My dogs have never eaten a home-cooked thing in their lives. And if one of them needed a $3000 surgery? I would be sad to see that dog go.

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home