Sunday, January 02, 2005

Ageism

I always said I would never lie about my age to make myself younger than I really am. As much angst as there was leading up to turning 30, it really makes no difference to me now. I look however old I look and I am however old I am. Whatever.

What has been pissing me off, though, is seeing characters on TV who are supposed to be like 26, 27, 28 and the actresses who are playing them are like 36, 37, 38 and look every year of it. No way in hell some bitch who is 38 and looks it is going to run around saying she is two years younger than me. I won't have it.

Tonight I told my younger sister that she is going to have to say that we are fraternal twins since I am going to tell people I am the same age she is, 27. After talking about it a bit more, we decided that we are actually 25. Her husband said we shouldn't have any trouble passing for it. We also talked about moving to Malaysia, but we said we will wait until we are 30 for that.

I told my mom that if my sister and I are five years younger, that means she was actually 21 when she first got pregnant, not 16. She said no, that means she is now actually 42 instead of 47. I thought she would want to get rid of the stigma of a teen pregancy but she said she would rather have those five years back.

2 Comments:

Blogger Joanne said...

Apparently my sister and I hypothetically look enough alike that we could do the same. I have a picture of my niece and sister together hanging in my office. I get asked quite frequently how old my daughter is. Um, that's not me. I wish I were as cute as she. I wouldn't mind being 27 again.

Since your mom is almost 50 :D I can see why she'd take the 5 years younger.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Cindy-Lou said...

I only look my age when I get home at 4am after a night of drinking. Hoo, baby!

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home