Thursday, January 13, 2005

My first peeve...

Bowing to Michelle's mandate, I bring you my first peeve. All who know me know I am a generally easy-going guy (unlike some I know), so these will likely be few and far between...

I'm seriously pissed that, out of the thousands who work here, there are seemingly only a handful of capable people in my company. I mean, seriously, I now have to be Producer, Designer, Creative Director, Co-Product Manager, Coder AND QA guy for this project? I'm doing six jobs and there are literally a dozen people within 20 feet of my desk just standing around? I know, co-PM, that you've gotten me more and more resources as we encounter new obstacles. But when I have to train them to do the job you pulled them in to do, or when I have to spend two hours every day on the phone explaining their jobs to them, that's not helping.

I moved to the Design group so I could be shielded from this incompetence and bullshit (sorry, Nikki, to leave you behind).

Product Management -- FYI, Here is my job:

I will take your stupid idea that will be a sure monetary failure and has no apparent purpose, and I will make it pretty and as user-friendly as possible, given your addle-brained and incoherent original proposal. I will try to offer suggestions to make the thing less stupid, which you will ignore. And then I will pass it off to engineers to implement. If need be, I will consult to engineering and QA as development continues.

I'm sick of running your meetings, I'm sick of presenting your assy ideas to Marketing or Sales because you're either unable to communicate your ideas, or embarrassed (as you should be) of them. I'm sick of having to defend your stupidity to my boss when he says "why is there X button?" and I say, "because X said it has to be there, and would not listen to reason." And I'm sick of having 6 hour meetings with you, trying desperately to suck requirements out of you because you're too lazy and/or incompetent to write them down. No, I will not just "mock it up and then we'll talk about it" -- WITHOUT SOME REQUIREMENTS THERE"S NOTHING TO MOCK-UP! Who is your audience? What is their skill level? What do you want them to do? If you want multiple things from the product, what is most important? How can we track success? These are simple, simple questions you should ask yourself before you come to me, and if you don't know the answers SIT DOWN AT YOUR DESK AND FIGURE THEM OUT!

I know, I know, I used to be a member of your group, and a half a dozen other groups. I know, I am capable of performing many duties at this company. But I am paid to be a designer, that is what I choose to be. Do you not think there's a reason I left those other groups to come here?

Maybe after the reorg it will be better.

(snicker)

2 Comments:

Blogger Peeved Michelle said...

I am free from that nonsense! Of course, there is a different brand of nonsense here, but it is much milder sort. I CANNOT BELIEVE that people who quit are going back to work there.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

The thought crossed my mind for about 27 and a half seconds to return after I heard that the last benefits girl was leaving. It quickly vanished though, as I realized I work at the best place ever.

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home