Tuesday, February 22, 2005

False Peeves

Okay, I have a peeve with some recent peeves, and peeve-themes. Hold onto yer butts:

1) People can dress however they want. Everyone has different taste in clothes and is comfortable wearing different things. Faux-fur collars? Acid-washed jeans? Casual leather pants? Fine, fine and a bit silly, but fine. If you are comfortable, if it makes you feel good, wear it, and don't let some pissy shithead tell you otherwise. (I'm wearing a multi-colored panel brushed silk shirt and Aqua-Socks(TM) as I write this.)

2) Nipples are not yucky. Maybe seeing nipples (guys or girls) poking thru clothes offends you because you've been brainwashed by the increasingly puritanical national psyche, which has been slipping back toward the Salem Witch Trials since the 70s (I don't know what witches have to do with nipples, save that old "colder than" cliche, but I'm sticking with that sentence). Now, nipples poking through clothes might mean it's just too damn cold in the room, which is cause for concern. And, yes, many nipples are bizarrely shaped and/or hairy. But they are not yucky, in concept or in practice.

Thanks for your time,

--David

5 Comments:

Blogger Peeved Michelle said...

David carries a man-purse.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Kate the Peon said...

I'm going to be polite for a number of reasons. 1) You're a fellow contributor, 2) You're completely entitled to your opinion, and to express it, 3) We're entitled to disagree.

That being said...nipples of any kind are yucky if they're at work, and work is not a strip joint. Or a plastic surgeons office. Or, uh, a nipple-making factory for bottles.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

1 - People can dress however they want. But just like they can wear whatever they like, I can criticize if I don't like it. Just as I'm sure people criticize me for wearing my favorite gray and pink converse tennis shoes, being fat, wearing my hair in 2 braids, whatever...

2 - If someone wants to be offended by a visible nipple, more power to them. It isn't sad, it is their choice. If you want me to accept your views on the visible nipple, you should be willing to accept my views on them. I'm pretty sure I haven't been 'brainwashed by the increasingly puritanical national psyche.' I say this especially because although I don't really care about visible nipples per se, I loathe words on asses which probably falls into the same type of catagory.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Peeved Michelle said...

Muckraking IS allowed.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Cindy-Lou said...

I like David.

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home