Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Whatever you do, don't flash him back.

Question: You are making an unprotected left turn at an intersection. You are sitting in the middle of the intersection waiting for the oncoming traffic to clear. The light turns yellow. There is still one oncoming car that is at the precise distance away that the driver of the oncoming car could either speed up and run the light or brake and stop for the light. You are not sure which way the driver will decide. The driver flashes the brights at you. What was the driver signalling to you?

Answer:
A- That the driver is stopping at the light and you are free to make your left turn.
B- That the driver is running the light so you'd better not turn yet.
C- That the driver is a wannabe gang member and if you flash your brights back at him, he fill follow you and kill you as an initiation into the gang.

I await your responses. I witnessed this incident this morning and the outcome was not what I was expecting.

9 Comments:

Blogger Joanne said...

Well. I believe it is C of course. I read that ion that there internet thingy and that could never lie to me right? Otherwise I have no idea. But I would guess A.

11:38 AM  
Blogger SJ said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:38 PM  
Blogger SJ said...

The romantic in me would say C, but I guess the real answer is going be A...

Even though I *know* what happened to you is bound to be B...

12:42 PM  
Blogger Peeved Michelle said...

It didn't happen to me. It happened the car ahead of me. I always thought flashing the lights meant A and it appears that most other think that, too. However, in this case, the guy flashed and then kept on driving! If I had been the one turning left, I would have gone. The guy who was turning left started to go and then I guess he realized that the flasher wasn't stopping, so was able to avoid an accident.

1:47 PM  
Blogger ... said...

As an international driver, it definitely means A but obviously you witnessed the mutated version of C where it was a gang banger that will just ram your car rather than follow you (that takes too long anyhow, right?)

9:04 PM  
Blogger SJ said...

Uh, Miscka - gang bang must mean something different where you come from if you're using it in this context...

11:08 PM  
Blogger peachy said...

The flasher was at fault. You don't flash to mean 'I'm going through the light.' You flash to mean, 'go ahead, I'm stopping.' I'm sure the flasher realized the other driver saw him. I would've gotten hit.

5:07 AM  
Blogger sic said...

As a driver in a city with a prerequisite anger quotient for all drivers, I can say without doubt that if somebody flashes his brights at you, it's a warning. It's definitely a statement of his intent to assert his right to whatever it is he believes he has a right to.

7:49 AM  
Blogger Reese The Law Girl said...

As a driver in a city with severe road rage issues, I can tell you that flashing your lights is usually thought of as B. That the person is having an off day and decided to be nice.

What this really teaches us, is that flashing lights really isn't good communication.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home